Image Map

Monday, August 18, 2014

Review: DEAREST CLEMENTINE by Lex Martin

Title: Dearest Clementine
Authors: Lex Martin
Dearest #1
Publication Date: May 25, 2014
+Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes&Noble | Kobo |

Twenty-year-old Clementine Avery doesn't mind being called bitchy and closed off. It's safe, and after being burned by her high school sweetheart and stalked by a professor her freshman year of college, safe sounds pretty damn good.

Her number one rule for survival? No dating. That is until she accidentally signs up for a romance writing class and needs material for her latest assignment. Sexy RA Gavin Murphy is more than happy to play the part of book boyfriend to help Clem find some inspiration, even if that means making out...in the name of research, of course.

As Gavin and Clem grow closer, they get entangled in the mystery surrounding a missing Boston University student, and Clem unwittingly becomes a possible target. Gavin tries to show Clem she can handle falling in love again, but she knows she has to be careful because her heart's at stake...and maybe even her life.
**DEAREST CLEMENTINE is a stand-alone novel with two companion novels. This New Adult romance is recommended for readers 18+ due to mature content.

Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter |

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
         "I want us to have a future, I want you to be mine, and I'm willing to wait as long as you need to get there."

LOVED IT. Dearest Clementine is the debut novel of author Lex Martin, and boy did she debut with a bang. This book had a little bit of everything. There was humor, angst, mystery and drama. The plot was unique and the character interactions all enjoyable.
The story is told in the POV of our heroine, Clem. She's awesome. Intelligent, funny, independent and strong-minded. She's an indie author who published one hit book under a pen name during her freshman year.
"I don't need make-believe when real life is more fucked up. Especially my life."
With a history of uncaring parents, a cheating ex and stalker problems, Clem doesn't trust others easily and constantly avoids the dating scene. While trying to find inspiration for a new novel, she meets sexy RA, Gavin Murphy. He's a complete gentleman and plays the guitar (*swoon* I'm a sucker for musicians!). Oh, and he has a nerdy sense of humor which I loved! When Clem mistakenly signs up for a romance writing course, Gavin offers his assistance in helping with her writing assignments. All I can say is that I have a new appreciation for the stacks at the university library!
"Where I'm uptight and anxious, he's cool and collected. Where I often feel lost and aimless, he's focused and driven."
Aside from our awesome hero and heroine, we also have quite a group of wonderful secondaries. Kade was one that didn't stand out much at the beginning but slowly had me warming up to him as the story progressed. The only one I had conflicted feelings about was Daren, Jax's best friend (Jax is Clem's hot soccer player twin brother). It may take me a bit to get over what he did, but we'll see how my feelings change in the next book of the series.
"In romance, the sex comes secondary to love. Sex might be part of it, but it's really about the bigger story of growth."
Overall, Dearest Clementine is a fantastic readhighly recommended! There was just the right amount of a "slow burn" in Clem and Gavin's relationship and the mystery/suspense aspect of the story was well written too. I cannot wait to start Jax's book! 


-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Jenna
I want her as a friend. Period.
Mainly because she's hilarious but she's such a sweet person too.
Oh, she's also an Out-Skank master!

'Golden Girl'
If Gavin were to serenade me with a song written specifically for me,
I'd melt and throw myself at him. End of story.

No comments:

Post a Comment